Wednesday, November 09, 2005

A Rant on Culture

Dear culture,
media magazines commercials movies shows advertisements
whoever you are.
Your faces are hidden from us
but you'll put another's face
and let's be honest
body
on your product to degrade us
just a bit more.

I see bones
ribcages and elbows
that could poke my eye out.
I see makeup
cakes of mascara and foundation
quick, cover up who that girl really is.
I see hairspray
impossible feats of modern technology
I'm pretty sure hair shouldn't do that.
I see sunken eyes
some say when you don't eat
you get sick and gross.
I concur.
I see flat chests
I didn't know 12yearold boys
were in style this season.
Guess I'm not up on the trends.
I see organs
I know I shouldn't be able to
but when you weigh less than a flea
they gotta pop out somewhere.
I see legs
I think they're legs.
They're longer than my whole body
the knees knock together
but the thighs don't dare touch.
I see girls.
Bodies too old
minds too young
for this garbage heap of a society.

My God, where are the women?
What happened to
Marilyn Monroe
Jean Harlow
Katherine Hepburn
Elizabeth Taylor
Women who had curves
had bodies
not bones.
Had hips and breasts and thighs and waists
stomachs and lips and butts and grace
We need women
women
real women
what are we learning?
what are we teaching?

Who will stand
beauty in hand
be unafraid to shine
in the glow of the gift
of
a
womans
curves.

Join me on the fat side
of the media.
Size 12
is as lovely
as size 2.
I'm done.

1 comment:

jade catherine said...

the "fat side"
is true beauty.
we're at out finest. we're gorgeous. you never cease to amaze me. im in awe. and frankly, you get bonus points cuz you put my Katharine in there.
THIS POEM IS MY FAVORITE...till you post the next one...